REGINA LAND TITLES BUILDING




REGINA LAND TITLES BUILDING

The attractive Regina Land Titles Building, located on Victoria Avenue immediately south of historic Victoria Park in the Queen City, was constructed between 1907 and 1909 in response to the transfer of land administration from the federal to our new provincial government in Saskatchewan in 1906. This was the first building commissioned by the new government. It protected the Regina Land District records until 1977. The property features a two-storey brick and stone office building and landscaped grounds. The site was designated a Provincial Heritage Property under the old Saskatchewan Heritage Act in 1978. As it is with most historic office buildings in the province the heritage value of the Land Titles Building resides in its architecture. Designed by the prominent Toronto architectural firm of Darling and Pearson, during their brief tenure as the provincial architects, through use of the Classical Revival architectural style, the building conveys the images of stability and self-assurance desired by a new province. The liberal use of Kootenay marble from British Columbia on the exterior and a high ceiling on the main floor also give the building an imposing and prestigious appearance. Image:GovtSK