REGINA TELEPHONE EXCHANGE




REGINA TELEPHONE EXCHANGE

The Regina Telephone Exchange building was constructed in 1913 to replace the original telephone exchange which was destroyed a year earlier by the “Regina Cyclone”. Built by Snyder Brothers, the new building housed the most advanced telephone system in our province at the time. Located at 1870 Lorne Street in downtown Regina the property features a two-storey, brick-and-stone Italianate-style building with an attached one-storey addition. The Regina Telephone Exchange was designed by the prominent Regina architectural firm Storey and Van Egmond, as part of their contract with the Department of Telephones. With a limestone base, it was designed in a subdued style which may be observed in several of the building’s key elements, including the ornate pressed metal cornice and elaborately detailed stone carvings. The building also features two ornate entranceways constructed of carved Indiana Limestone and four circular windows that highlight the south entrance. The value of the architecture is enhanced by the historical integrity of the interior entranceways. Combined with the architectural features, they reflect the quality materials used in the construction of the building and project an image of permanence and modernity that Saskatchewan Government Telephones was eager to present. Image:GoogleMaps