SOME VERY HISTORIC PLACES
What historic places are Saskatchewan's oldest? We referred to Wikipedia.com to find out what its contributors had to say about this question. It turns out that the oldest historic place on record, considering multicultural settlement of Canada, is located on the banks of the Churchill River at Stanley Mission, which is now a community of the Lac La Ronge First Nation and Lac La Ronge Provincial Park. The Mission was established by the Rev. Robert Hunt in 1850. He also designed the famous Holy Trinity Anglican Church located there, which was constructed by local Cree craftspersons between 1854 and 1860.
Other places listed on the Wikipedia.com page we reached are the Mission of St. Antoine de Padoue (image above), which was established in 1884 at Batoche. Then listed was the Marr Residence in Saskatoon in 1885, the All Saints Anglican Church at Katepwa Beach in 1887, the Almighty Voice Jailhouse at Duck Lake in 1880, the Powder Magazine at Cumberland House in 1890, the Territorial Administration Building in Regina in 1891, the Jean Caron Sr. Farm Home at Batoche in 1895, the Hudson's Bay Company Store in Fort Qu'Appelle in 1897, and, finally, the Motherwell Homestead at Abernethy in 1897.
Once containing records of all private and public land in the Territories, the Battleford Land Registry Office near Battleford (ahssNEWS:May13) registered the ownership and sale of lands for an area representing two-thirds of Canada at the time. Constructed by John G. Oliver for the Dominion Government in 1877-78, this Provincial Heritage Property is the oldest known brick building in our province. It is located on Government Ridge, overlooking the Battle and North Saskatchewan Rivers and the main townsite of Battleford.
May we also mention the St. Vital Church (ahssNEWS:June10) that was built at Battleford in 1883. It is the oldest RC church in Saskatchewan. It is one of only three historic buildings left in Battleford, other than Fort Battleford, that predate the Rebellion.
Image above: Mission of St. Antoine de Padoue, Batoche, DANRMG flickr.com