THE COLLEGE BUILDING
As one of the first buildings constructed on campus, the College Building reflects the prominent role agricultural education was to play at the newly created University of Saskatchewan. Originally designed to house the College of Agriculture, this multi-purpose building quickly became a hub of campus activity after it opened for classes in the fall of 1912. The building’s striking architecture and use of distinctive local greystone set the tone for much of the campus’ physical design. Overlooking a grassy oval garden space known as the “Bowl,” the College Building remains one of the most distinguished buildings on campus. Located on sixteen hectares of the campus grounds, the property features an impressive, 2½-storey, stone-clad, Collegiate Gothic-style building that was constructed between 1910 and 1912.
The heritage value of the College Building, University of Saskatchewan resides in its status as the first College of Agriculture at a Canadian university. While formal agricultural education had been introduced in eastern Canada in the late nineteenth century, these institutions had only nominal connections to universities. The University of Saskatchewan was the first in Canada to establish an agricultural college on its main campus and to accord it a profession status equal to the more traditional colleges, such as the Liberal Arts and Sciences, Medicine, and Law. Knowing the vital role that agriculture was to play in the development of the province, the university founders considered the College of Agriculture a priority over all other colleges and commissioned the College Building as the first academic building constructed on the campus. Constructed to house lecture halls, classrooms, and offices for the College of Agriculture, the building's importance was further emphasized in the 1909 master plan, which placed it in its prominent location at the head of what was designed to be an agricultural precinct.
Information & Image:GovSK